We are delighted to have signed up to the Boarding Schools' Association's COVID-Safe Charter.
Our Admissions Department remains open and, although we cannot arrange visits at present, we would be pleased to organise online meetings to discuss inquiries and registrations.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Biology is taught by specialist teachers throughout Key Stage 3, with dedicated Biology lessons every week. The broad outline of the National Curriculum is followed, but time is allowed for project work, fieldwork and the use of ICT. A major emphasis is on practical work with the development of experimental design. This leads into the GCSE Biology course which is started in the Autumn Term of Year 9.
Pupils enjoy the spacious facilities and modern equipment in the four Callard Biology laboratories.
The topics covered in Year 7 and Year 8
• Life processes and responses to stimuli
• Cellular structures of plant, animal, fungal and prokaryotic cells
• Green plant as organisms: photosynthesis, germination, reproduction, seed dispersal and transport
• Living things and the environment: adaptations, competition, feeding relationships and ecological sampling
• Humans as organisms: nutrition and diet, heart and circulatory system, muscles and the skeletal system, reproduction and pregnancy, breathing and respiration, human health